Broforce Forever is now available as a big free upgrade for all owners, here's a little look over what's new for my favourite action-platformer.
This is one update where you're going to want to start an entirely fresh campaign to play through. As it offers an " expanded campaign with new unlocks, along with six new ultra patriotic bros, four new new democracy-spreading challenge levels, and the ultimate expression of military might – bug fixes".
The new characters include:
- Seth Brondle - Harness the calculating intelligence and acid-spitting allure of Broforce Forever’s biggest bug yet! Climb on ceilings and utilise explosive teleportation as you swat evildoers like flies.
- Xebro - Use your formidable fighting and flying Chakram skills to help those who are unable to defend themselves. Strike fear into the hearts of terrorism with your war cry, then cut them up real good with your sword.
- Desperabro - Harness the power of music to enchant evil before blowing it away with dual sawn-off shotguns. Every man deserves one last chance to dance before he dies.
- Broffy the Vampire Slayer - Become the thing monsters have nightmares about, a stake throwing, unholy purging, self-resurrecting teenage Slayer!
- Burt Brommer - Embrace freedom in the most patriotic way possible: OVERKILL. Snipe your way around the world vanquishing evil with pinpoint accuracy, or just get back to basics and ram dynamite down its throat.
- Demolition Bro - Send a maniac to catch a maniac! With his Bouncing Bomberman Bomb and Freeze Grenade, this Bro is ready to put evildoers right back where they belong… ON ICE.
Broforce has a Native Linux version and it is also rated Steam Deck Playable.
What the developers said about this update:
That's it, it's finally out!
Fun fact - getting this update out the door took longer than the entire rest of the game took to make. When we started it we thought it would be funny to call it "BROFORCE Forever", but nobody is laughing now.
We had various elaborate ideas for the update - including things such as procedurally generated levels, or a standalone roguelite spinoff version of the game. Unfortunately, for various reasons - mostly that the ideas were bad and the execution worse - they did not work out. However, we did manage to scavenge some playable crumbs from that desert of disappointment and combine them into a substantial update (which happens to include desert levels) that we're proud of and that we hope you'll like as well.
The best way to play this update, in our opinion, is to start a new game and replay the entire campaign and enjoy that nostalgic feeling you get about that time about ten years ago when we made you feel nostalgic about a time about twenty years before that. You can perhaps consider going on an elaborate recruiting mission beforehand to find all your old bros from years ago and get them back together for one last mission. Even though they said they were done and they are too old for this shit, their sense of duty to liberty, justice and freedom will compel them to save the world from Satanic terrorist aliens - just this one last time.
Finally, we'd like to say thanks again to everyone for the support over the years. The reception of Broforce has surpassed every hope we could have had and we are forever grateful for that. Thanks also to all our collaborators, who are too many to mention, for all the invaluable contributions over the years. We'd also like to apologise to Special Reserve and the people who preordered the physical version of the game - the delays are totally on us as we really wanted the physical version of Broforce to represent the definitive and final version of the game. We'd also like to apologise for ignoring everyone's bro suggestions and adding Seth Brondle instead.